Shadow of War My Favourite Game

Shadow of War is a 2017 game set in the universe of Tolkien’s ‘The Lord of the Rings’. When I purchased this game I didn’t know too much about this game, this actually helped my enjoyment as the game far exceeded my expectations.  In this game you play as Talion, a ranger of Gondor who was returned from death after bonding with the wraith of an elf named Celebrimbor who died centuries ago. But you won’t be alone, throughout the game you can recruit orcs and trolls into your army in order to conquer the many fortresses and entire regions of Mordor. Only after this will you be able to launch an assault on the Dark Lord Sauron and avenge your wife and child whom were executed by Sauron’s forces in the previous game.




Image from Shadow of War
Source: Flickr


My favourite part of this game was the ‘Nemesis System’. When I first heard about this I assumed that the ‘Nemesis System’ was just a marketing ploy and wouldn’t play a large role in gameplay. Naturally I had become very sceptical when a game advertises a feature as being “ground-breaking and innovative”. Most of the time I simply believe that these features will either barely be there or will have been greatly overexaggerated.


This was the polar opposite to my actual experience. Throughout the game the enemies you face (captains, war-chiefs, overlords) have unique personalities and their behaviour will change depending on whether you attack, flee or recruit them. These enemies can even ambush you when you are in the middle of a mission and your recruited orcs can betray you should they witness you fall to an enemy too many times I sunk countless hours into the game, Shadow of War is one of the first games that I’d say was genuinely addictive and I hope to find another game which can offer that experience again.










Comments

Very good Robbie. Excellent description of the game.

Popular posts from this blog

Robbie Cahill Introduction Multimedia Development

Game Brainstorm

Game Idea Research