Game Idea Research

Previously I considered a variety of ideas which I could translate into a full video game. However most of the game ideas were far too big for me to do. I believe that there was a single idea that could work very well. Creating a racing game where you drive about on a long stretch and try to avoid traffic. I firmly believe this would be better for my current skill level. A game with more scale would require more time and likely more members.

I also believe this link could explain why my peers could enjoy a racing game

One mechanic that I believe would work very well is actually jumping. In the game I used to play you could jump over traffic. This was vital as the longer you played the faster you went. It was a very fun mechanic, seeing a large taxi leap over other cars in a cartoonish manner always brought me endless amusement as a child.

New obstacles would also benefit this game, such as overtaking buses and other fast vehicles. Although there could be other types of obstacles added to this in the future. Perhaps needing to stop at traffic lights could provide some tension for the player. 

Source:Flickr

This would game wouldn't have a story exactly but rather a very light narrative. You would play as a pizza delivery guy. Manoeuvring through traffic in order to deliver a pizza. There could also be a timer in this game. You would need to deliver your pizza before the food gets too cold, otherwise it would be game-over and you would need to restart the game. This would be similar to the infamous '30 minutes or less deal.'

Of course there are various elements which could be added or removed to this game. Please leave a comment with any ideas you have about what I can add to this game.


Comments

Milena said…
Hey, hope your game ideas are going great and you found something you like. Racing games are great, I love them and I think they are great for your first game. The game mechanics sound interesting and fascinating. Sounds cool to be able to jump over traffic XD. Have you thought about adding some sort of enemy? Maybe a car that tries to destroy your car and is following you throughout your journey or things falling from the sky? It would be interesting to see some elements of like something passing by and like a car being hit and exploding so like a meteorite or something similar. Good blog post !
Hi, Robbie , it is a great game idea and you can not go wrong with the racing game and I believe we have enough experience with Unity at this stage to be able to develop this kind of game at this stage. The idea with obstacles would be beneficial to your Game, but what if you could add an explosion to obstacles if you collide with them. Hope to play your game at the end of semester and hope you enjoy Unity and developing your game so far

Popular posts from this blog

Robbie Cahill Introduction Multimedia Development

Game Brainstorm